Transparency has become a major trend in the online business world. Customers often want to know more about a company than is easily available through “About Us,” pages, and companies are eager to provide it. Explainer videos are one of the most effective mediums to do this, providing a unique way to increase brand awareness, revenue, and interest in the company.
What are explainer videos?
An explainer video is a type of video content that can serve a number of different purposes. While some companies use them solely to increase sales, explainer videos can be used to educate and inform viewers about products and services, the company’s values, and much more. The average length of an explainer video is between one and three minutes; it’s more difficult to keep viewers engaged when videos are longer than this. However, the length is dependent on the type of content and the subject matter.
What Makes Explainer Videos Effective?
Think about how many man-hours are spent explaining things to customers. If they could find this information for themselves at any time of day or night, your personal productivity would increase, as would your sales. That’s what an explainer video enables you to do. Cold-emails are also more effective this way. Instead of asking a customer to read through several paragraphs, you can send an email with a brief introduction and a link to a video that explains what your company is and what it has to offer.
There are scenes in almost every film that hit on certain heartstrings. Explainer videos can do exactly the same thing; the right mixture of words, music, and graphics can evoke the emotions you want a customer to see while viewing the video and help sway their opinion one way or the other. Because the majority of buying decisions are based in emotion, being able to turn the emotional taps can help you sell more products or services.
Some people are born salesmen, while others find it difficult to sell bread to a starving man. Even if your primary skill set is in creating a product or customer service, explainer videos give you an effective weapon for grabbing hold of a customer’s attention and retaining it long enough to provide them with the information they need to make a decision on whether or not to use your services.
How are explainer videos used?
Many businesses use videos to sell their products or services. They do this by demonstrating how to properly use a product or simply pushing viewers farther down the sales funnel.
Some products are more complicated than others, such as software. Creating a video to demonstrate how to use a piece of software can save customers the hassle of reading through dozens or even hundreds of pages of information material. While you may not be able to give them in-depth explanations of how to use more advanced tools, they can gain the basic functions of the program relatively easily.
To Increase Brand Awareness
The importance of branding increases every day as more and more companies enter the business arena. Becoming the household name for a product or service isn’t easy, but explainer videos can be used to increase awareness of a specific brand. For example, Budweiser does this well with their often heartwarming videos featuring small animals.
Do’s and Don’ts of Explainer Videos
- Use a professional writer for your script. The narration of an explainer video is a major component of its effectiveness. A professional can inject emotion and urgency into a script Amateur or hobbyist doesn’t have that skill.
- Plan out the video beforehand. You should know what you hope to achieve with the video and how each beat of the content should fall. Knowing whether you want to sell a product or just educate a customer will change the way you approach the video, and can help you narrow the focus to a more targeted demographic.
- Focus on the benefits, not the features, of a product. Customers want to know how a product or service can help them, not what it’s capable of. While the two may actually be the same topic in reality, in a customer’s mind it is always better to focus on the benefit to them.
- Use the same video for every audience. You may have a variety of demographics, depending on your product. Trying to use the same video for each one is a mistake; different age groups will be affected in different ways, and learning how to evoke the right reaction from each group will be most beneficial to you.
- Don’t try to add too much to a video. A long video is more likely to lose the attention of the viewer before your message is finished. By keeping it short and to the point, you’re more likely to retain the viewer’s attention for long enough to influence them.
- Don’t forget to give the viewer a way to contact you. Whether this is information displayed at the end of the video or an easily-accessible contact form is up to you, but it should be easy for the customer to take the next step after viewing the video.
Taking advantage of video is one of the most effective ways to gain access to a customer’s heart and mind. Explainer videos make it easy to generate the emotional response you’re looking for while entertaining your customers and improve conversion rates.
Videos tend to carry more weight in search engines, making it easier for your website and content to be found by the likes of Google and Yahoo, which will result in more organic traffic to your website. If you’re still on the fence about using explainer videos, make the switch today and take your business to the next level.